The Senior Operator performs as the shift supervisor in the absence of the Lead Operator for any assigned shift within the Communications Center, to include the assignment/review of work. Receives and dispatches routine emergency telephone calls, radio communications to and from citizens, patrol units, other law enforcement, fire and EMS, or any other public safety agency. The Senior also operates a variety of communications equipment, the telephone system, receives emergency calls and provides information to the public while providing assistance and guidance to the line dispatchers.
The Senior Operator works under the supervision of the Lead Operator.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Acts as a Communications Training Officer imparting knowledge to new employees by use of an organized training schedule and curriculum
* Complete daily roster in absence or at the request of the Lead Operator
* Fill vacant positions due to illness, vacation, compensatory and training time in the absence of or at the request of the Lead Operator
* Maintain certifications in EMD, CPR, and NCIC. Works in the capacity of a line dispatcher by answering phones, dispatching law enforcement, fire and EMS personnel, provides pre-arrival medical instructions, and operates the teletype computer
* Verify at shift change that actual call types are correct
* Handle callers which a dispatcher cannot handle or control
* Control conflicts between dispatchers when they occur
* Ensure the highest quality of professional service to the public
* Have expert level of knowledge of the standard operating guidelines and ensure that all shift members are conforming to these guidelines
* Ensure that all employees are in proper authorized uniform attire
* Control evacuation procedure and special routing conditions if required, at the request of the Lead Operator
* Check the work of NCIC/NCIS entries from other dispatchers and sign off completed paperwork
* Completes NCIC/NCIS entry of warrants according to department guidelines and delegate such if necessary
* Responsible for shift scheduling to assure adequate staffing due to employee absence in the absence of, or request of, the Lead Operator.