The Sarpy County Veterans Service Office provides confidential counseling and assistance to Veterans, widows/widowers, and their dependents residing in Sarpy County concerning federal, state and local Veterans benefits and programs. We provide assistance with obtaining required documents and completion of and submission of applications for:
Filing DD 214(s)
County Veterans Aid Fund (CVA)
- Applications taken for unforeseen emergency expenditures to include utilities, food, and shelter only.
- Eligibility requirements include:
- Character of military service must be Honorable or General (Under Honorable Conditions) and
- Active duty service during one of the Wartime periods listed in Nebraska Revised Statute 80-401.01 and
- Residency in Nebraska for the past two (2) years and
- Proof of residency in Sarpy County for six (6) months immediately prior to submitting an application for CVA and
- Provide evidence all other options for aid or resources have been exhausted
CVA Worksheet & Instruction
Nebraska Revised Statute 80-401.01
Bronze Flag Holder
- For Veterans interned in a Sarpy County cemetery, we may issue a bronze war-period specific flag holder to next of kin to be placed at the deceased Veteran's grave site.
- Required documents include:
- Evidence of military service such as a DD 214 or statement of service that includes branch, dates and character of service and
- Death certificate that includes date and place of burial or cremation and
- Name of cemetery and location of grave site and
- Completion of a Flag Holder Application is required
Flag Holder Application
Homestead Exemption Applications & Certification Letters
- The Nebraska homestead exemption program is a real estate property tax relief program for five categories of homeowners:
- Qualified owner-occupants age 65 and over
- Veterans disabled by a non-service-connected accident or illness
- Disabled individuals
- Veterans drawing 100% service-connected disability from the Department of Veterans Affairs or the un-remarried widow(er)
- Paraplegic veteran or multiple amputee whose home value was substantially contributed too by the Department of Veterans Affairs
There are both income limitations and home valuation limitations for all categories, except for a disabled veteran or widow(er) whose home has been substantially contributed to by the Department of Veterans Affairs (#5). If a VA certification letter is required, the Sarpy County Veterans Service Office will assist you with your request as well as assistance in completing the application.
Homestead Exemption Application
Military Personnel Records & Service Medical Records Requests
You may request your records by mail, complete and submit your signed/dated SF 180 to the National Personnel Records Center:
National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138
Fax your SF 180 to 314-801-9195
Veterans Preference Letter, Veterans 10-Point Preference Form requests
- Veterans in receipt of VA disability compensation can request a preference letter by calling 1-800-827-1000 or logging onto your eBenefits Account.
- Standard Form 15 (SF15) is the Veterans 10-Point Preference Form and a copy of your DD 214 will give you five (5) points. A Veterans Preference Letter showing you are a disabled Veteran will give you another five (5) points, for a total of ten (10) points.
- Sarpy County Veterans Service Office staff may visit care facilities and housebound Veterans when requested if Veteran's health prevents visiting our office or transportation is not available. During these visits, we provide counseling and assistance in completing benefit applications.
- Requests for issuance or replacement of military award medals. The following information is necessary when completing a request.
- Full name of the Veteran during service and
- Branch of Service and
- Service number and/or Social Security number and
- A copy of the discharge or separation document (DD214), if available, and
- Exact or approximate dates of military service
Click the link below to discover how these requests are completed.
- Referrals are made to social service agencies and other veteran-specific services.
To file for state unemployment benefits, or discuss job opportunities, click the link to find out how to apply through the Nebraska Workforce Development.
Veterans Representative for employment information:
- Nebraska Department of Labor
Omaha Career Center
5717 F Street
Omaha NE, 68117
(402) 595-3000 or Fax: (402) 595-2701