An increasing number of people have fallen victim to fake DMV websites, according to the Sarpy County Treasurer’s Office.
These websites illegally collect personal information, credit card numbers and money while posing as a representative of the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles.
The Sarpy County Treasurer’s Office is providing these tips for people who are renewing their vehicle registration online:
- In Nebraska, dmv.Nebraska.gov is the only website where you can renew your vehicle registration and license plates. Verify the URL before entering any personal information.
- You will never have to enter the year, make or model of your vehicle.
- Your renewal charge will never be $9.99 or $19.99.
- There are no advertisements on the official Nebraska DMV website. Fake sites often include ads for insurance or gift cards.
- When you look at your bank or credit card statement, the charge should be listed as “Nebraska.gov DMV Plate …” If the charge is listed under any other name, contact your bank or credit card company immediately.
- The beginning of your online renewal will look like this:
dmv.Nebraska.gov is a safe and secure way to renew your registration. However, if you don’t feel comfortable completing your registration online, there are other options. You can send your renewal payment through the mail or you can renew in person at the Sarpy County Treasurer’s Office in the Sarpy County Courthouse. No matter which method you choose for your renewal, make sure you have proof of insurance available.
If you have questions about vehicle registration in Sarpy County, please contact the Sarpy County Treasurer’s Office at 402-593-2148 or firstname.lastname@example.org.