Sarpy County is building a new Correctional Center to address overcrowding issues and to better serve the needs of the fastest growing county in the state. The 400-bed facility, currently in the design phase, will be built next to the existing jail near 84th Street and Highway 370 on the Sarpy County Campus. Construction is expected to start in February 2021.
• October 22, 2019: Sarpy County Board selects the location for a new jail
• December 10, 2019: DLR Group hired to design the new facility and to provide architectural services
• January 2020: Sarpy County Correctional Center Design Team to being working with DLR Group
• April 21, 2020: JE Dunn Construction hired as construction manager
• February 2021: Construction begins
• August 2022: Construction complete
• Fall 2022: Facility opens
Funding the Facility
Preliminary estimates put the cost of the new Sarpy County Correctional Center at $65 million. Current financial projections show the County can build the facility without raising the property tax levy. The County will use a portion of the existing tax levy as well as inheritance tax revenue to fund the design and construction costs. Together, those funding sources will provide roughtly $6 million per year twoard the project, using 2019 property valuation figures.