Commercial Vehicle

Sarpy County

The following was provided by the FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration for your use.  Please contact them if you have any questions.

Every commercial motor vehicle is required to have a U.S. DOT (department of transportation) number if the vehicle is used in interstate commerce.

What is a Commercial Motor Vehicle?

Any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle….        

  1. has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 10,001 pounds or more, whichever is greater; or
  2. is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
  3. is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or
  4. is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous and transported in a quantity requiring placarding.

Who must comply with Nebraska's Motor Carrier Safety Regulations Brochure

Who must comply with Federal Motor Carrier Regulations Brochure

Nebraska State Patrol  Declaration of Knowledge of Motore Carrier Regulations

Nebraska State Patrol Truck Guide: State Patrol Truck Guide


How Do I Apply For A U.S. DOT Number?

 To obtain your U.S. DOT number instantly, file on-line at 

You can also request an application (MCS-150 & MCS-150a) BY CALLING THE Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)  at 1-800-832-5660, or by calling the FMCSA office in your respective state. 

Nebraska   402-437-5986

Iowa           515-233-7400 


You May Also Need An FMCSA Operating Autority MC Number

If you are an interstate carrier who is for-hire (not hauling your own commodity), you also need FMSCA Operating Authority if you are not hauling an exempt commodity. 

To obtain operating authority, you must submit an OP-1 form as an application for an MC Number.  To obtain a MC Number, go to or call 1-800-832-5660 to request an application.

Truck and bus companies, and many companies that operate trucks and buses as part of their business, are subject to some or all of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.


Nebraska Department Of Roads - Over Weight Permits & Information

Click here: Nebraska Department of Roads Motor Carrier Section


HHVT - Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax

If your vehicle has a taxable gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more you will need to file an IRS form 2290.  In order to register your vehicle in Nebraska you will have to present this document.

You may obtain the form and the instructions at the IRS forms web site.

You may file online via the IRS web site:  Online form 2290 E-File

Need more assistance, contact the IRS:  IRS Locations and Phone Numbers


Apportioned Plates

Apportioned plates are issued by the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles Motor Carrier Services Division.

Specifics on this program may be viewed at their web site: Apportioned Plates and the International Registration Plan IRP

Unladen Weight Permits/ Hunters Permits.  Commercial carriers who have had apportioned plates and have terminated/complete their lease agreement or contract with a local business are often in need of some sort of transit document to return to their home state because their plates have been surrendered.  Unladen weight permits are available from the Motor Carrier Services division of DMV at:

Motor Carrier Services, 301 Centennial Mall South, Lincoln, NE  68509-4729

They may be contacted at 1-402-471-4435 or toll free: 1-888-622-1222  There web page is at:  Motor Carrier Services 


Other web sites and numbers that may be of use… 

FMCSA site 
Federal regulations
U.S. Department of Transportation 
Report Safety Violations:
Licensing & Insurance:
Hazardous Materials Transportation:
What commodities are exempt from FMCSA authority?
Nebraska One Stop Shop Service 888-622-1221
Nebraska Permit Office 402-471-0034
Nebraska CDL Examining 402-471-3861
Nebraska State Patrol Carrier Enforcement 402-471-0105