Sarpy County

A Certificate of Title is required for all types of vehicles driven or moved on the highways and roads of the State of Nebraska unless the vehicle falls under the specific category of Motor Vehicles Exempt from Titling.

The Certificate of Title serves as proof of ownership and only one title per vehicle may be issued and in existence at any one time.

Upon transfer of a vehicle, all owners listed on the Certificate of Title must sign their name(s) exactly as it appears on the face of the title.  Would you like to see an example?  Title example for individuals  In the case of a business, an authorized representative of the company must sign off in the company name, as well as, their name as said representative of the company.  Would you like to see an example?  Title example for a business DBA (doing business as) name on the title does not require a signature upon sale.

The buyer's name(s) and signature(s) must also be completed at this time as well as the mileage on the vehicle.  Failure to do so is in violation of the law.

We also recommend completing a DMV Bill of Sale and have both parties complete and sign the document with the seller retaining a copy of the bill of sale as evidence of the sale.  In addition we require the buyer to provide a signed bill of sale when registering the vehicle.  A signed Nebraska sales and use tax form 6 can be used instead of a bill of sale.

To obtain a Certificate of Title, you must be a resident of Sarpy County and submit a completed Application for Certificate of Title signed by all parties whose names are to appear on the title.  The only exception to this are titles held by husband and wife, in which case either one, acting as an agent for the other, may sign the application.

The fee for a Certificate of Title is $10.00 or $17.00 if there is a lien being noted.


Duplicate Titles

In the event a Certificate of Title has been lost, destroyed or mutilated, a duplicate Certificate of Title is issued.

To obtain a duplicate title, the titleholder/lien holder must submit a completed Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title to the Sarpy County Treasurer's Office or any other Nebraska County Treasurer's Office.

All person(s) whose name(s) appear on the face of the title must sign the completed application.  If husband and wife hold the title either may sign the application, acting as an agent. Please note that even though your title may say and/or that all must sign the form.  All signatures must be notarized.

If a lien is present on the title record, the lien holder must apply for the title.  If the lien has been satisfied, a notarized lien release on the lien holder letterhead may be accepted.

The fee for a duplicate Certificate of Title is $14.00 plus a $1 notary fee.


Lien Notations

To note a lien, the following documentation must be presented:

  • Certificate of Title or the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin, properly assigned to the new owner if the vehicle is a new purchase, and a completed Application for Certificate of Title.
  • Certificate of Title for a vehicle if the title already exists in the name of the debtor(s).
  • A copy of the lien instrument.  The lien instrument can be in the form of a security agreement, conditional sales contract, or trust receipt.  It must list the debtor's name and address, a specific description of the vehicle (VIN, year, make and model) and the lien holder's name and address.

Prior to November 1, 2010, after the lien was properly noted, the Certificate of Title was forwarded to the lien holder for retention until the lien has been satisfied.  All names listed as titled owners of the vehicle may appear on the lien instrument, but only one title owner is required to be listed.  The instrument must contain the signatures of those listed.

After October 31, 2010, once the lien is properly noted the Certificate of Title is stored electronically in the State of Nebraska system until the lien has been satisfied.

The fee for a lien notation is $7.00.


Lien Releases

For titles issued with liens prior to November 1, 2010, the lien holder should note the cancellation of the lien on the face of the actual title over their signature and the date of cancellation.  The Certificate of Title should then be forwarded to any county treasurer who notes the cancellation on the face of the title and records it on the computer record.

If an Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title is necessary and the original title contained an open lien that has been satisfied, a dated, signed and notarized release from the lienholder on their business letterhead can be accepted in lieu of a signature on the face of the title.  There is a $14 fee for issuing a duplicate title.

For electronic titles issued after October 31, 2010, the lien holder who does not participate in the State of Nebraska electronic lien and titling program should fill out a notarized ELT Non-Participating Lender Lien Release and submit it to any Nebraska County Treasurer for release and production of an actual title.  Lien holders who participate in the program, release their liens electronically and the Nebraska DMV produces the actual Certificate of Title and mails it per the lien holders request.  Normally directly to the vehicle owner.

There is no fee for lien releases/cancellation.


Transfer of Ownership - Sale

To transfer ownership of a motor vehicle or boat, all names that appear on the Nebraska Certificate of Title must sign off in the seller's section of the title and the date of sale must be recorded.  If there are any open liens, they must be released by the lienholder and the County Treasurer on the face of the title prior to reassignment of the title to the new owner.  When transferring ownership on a Nebraska Certificate of Title, husband and wife, cannot, sign as agent for the other.

The seller is also responsible for completing the Odometer Certification section of the title.

The buyer's name, address and signature(s) must appear in the purchasers section of the title.  This must be done at the time of purchase.  If the seller has signed off on a title and the purchasers information in not completed the title is considered open and may be confiscated.

With most Nebraska Certificates of Title, the seller, purchaser, and odometer sections will appear in the lower half on the face of the title.  On some older titles, these sections will appear on the back.

Application for a new title may be made on the backside of the Nebraska Certificate of Title.

Sellers and buyers are encouraged to complete a notarized DMV Bill of Sale with each party keeping a copy.  It protects the seller, in particular, and helps ensure the validity of the transaction.


Transfer of Ownership - Divorce

The Nebraska Certificate of Title must be issued in the name of the person awarded the vehicle after the divorce.

The Divorce Decree must identify the vehicle with year, make, model and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).

The Divorce Decree must be signed by the judge and must be the original or a certified copy.

If a lien exists against the vehicle, the person awarded the vehicle must work with the lien holder to have the Certificate of Title sent to our office for transfer.  A new security agreement may be required.

An Application for Certificate of Title will be required in the name of the person awarded the vehicle; the odometer section of the title must also be completed.  A fee of $10.00 for the title and/or a fee of $7.00 for the lien notation will also apply.


Titles From Out Of State

Motor vehicles, motorboats, ATV's and minibikes coming into Nebraska from another state are required to obtain a Nebraska Certificate of Title, unless they fall into the category of Motor Vehicles Exempt from Titling.

To obtain a Nebraska title, the following properly assigned documentation must be surrendered to the County where the vehicle has tax situs (where you reside):

  • Certificate of Title from vehicle's previous state of title.  Note: if previous state was NOT a title-issuing state, you will need the vehicle(s) last registration and if ownership is transferring, a notarized Bill of Sale.
  • Application for Certificate of Title
  • Sheriff's Inspection:  Located in the Southeast corner of the courthouse administrative wing.  Hours of Operation are 8:00 A.M. to 4:45, Monday through Friday and 8:00 A.M. to 6:00 on Wednesday.  You must arrive at least ten minutes before closing or you may not get your vehicle inspected.  Fee is $10.00 cash or check.
  • A copy of Security Agreement if previous state's title indicates an open lien

If the ownership of the vehicle is not changing, but the owners are relocating to Nebraska, and the lien holder is securing the title, the following must be completed prior to registering your vehicle in Sarpy County:The fee for a Certificate of Title is $10.00, if there is an open lien the fee is $17.00.

  • An Application for Certificate of Title must be submitted to the Sarpy County Treasurer.  The application must be completed and signed including the name and address of the lien holder.

To register the vehicle, you will need proof of insurance and prior registration from the previous state.  If the previous registration is not available, a receipt showing proof of payment for the sales tax is required.  Non-resident military should view military requirements on the main DMV page.In order to register your out of state titled vehicle, we need to have your previous states title.  If there was a lien on the vehicle, the lender usually holds the title and you need to have the title sent here from the lien holder.  You need to request the title from your lender and have it sent directly to us.  Please click on  Out of State Request for Title, fill out the form, print it, and mail to your lender. Make sure to send us a copy via the link on our web page. The lien holder will send your current out-of-state title to our office. If you have a leased vehicle we will need the title from your leasing company.  Please click on,  Request for Title on a Leased Vehicle, fill out the form and send it to your leasing company and send us a copy also.  Upon receipt of the out-of-state title, we will notify the customer of the Nebraska state inspection requirements.  When the inspection is completed, an electronic Nebraska title with your current lien holder's information will be stored electronically.

According to State of Nebraska Statues Section 60-366, you must register your vehicle in this county after thirty (30) days of residence in this state.


Motor Vehicles Exempt From Titling

A Certificate of Title is required for all types of vehicles driven or moved on highways and roads of Nebraska, with the following exceptions:

  • ATV's sold new prior to 1/1/2004
  • Mopeds (with pedals)
  • Minibikes sold new prior to 1/1/2004
  • Snowmobiles
  • Utility trailers (having a gross weight of 9,000 lbs or less)
  • Tow dollies
  • Golf Carts
  • Go carts
  • Ditch digging apparatus
  • Cranes
  • Power shovels
  • Backhoes
  • Bulldozers


Transfer of Decedent's Title

When a vehicle is owned by two or more parties and the names on the front of the title are separated by the words OR, or the term With Rights of Survivorship (WROS) then ownership automatically passes  to the survivors when one party dies.  The survivor(s) may take title in their name or transfer ownership upon providing proof of death (i.e. death certificate, newspaper, obituary clipping or a card from the funeral home of the deceased owner.  Usually a married couple owns a car as husband OR wife which means the couple has WROS.  When one of the parties dies ownership transfers to the other without having to go through probate and the individual may retitle in their name only or transfer ownership to another party.

When the title is only in the decedent's name or the vehicle is jointly held without rights of survivorship (words AND, AND/OR used between names), transfer of ownership can only occur after an individual has been appointed by the court.  Once appointed said individual, serving as the personal representative for the decedent, may legally assign the title to the new owner.  The letter of appointment by the court for this individual must be attached to the title when it is presented to the Sarpy County Treasurer's Office.  The appointment of the personal representative terminates one year after the closing statement is filed in court.

If the total value of all personal property in the decedent's estate does not exceed $50,000 and the title was issued in the decedent's name alone, the vehicle may be transferred without probate to a successor by submitting an Affidavit for Transfer of Decedent's Motor Vehicle.

Before the person claiming to be the successor of the decedent submits the Affidavit, the following items must be satisfied:

  • Thirty (30) days must have elapsed since the death.
  • No petition for the appointment of a personal representative is pending or has been granted.
  • The Nebraska Certificate of Title is in the decedent's name alone.
  • The Death Certificate must be attached to the completed Affidavit.
  • Affidavit for Transfer must be completed including the signature of the successor which must be notarized.
  • A completed Application for Certificate of Title has been completed by the successor.

The successor must reside in Sarpy County.  The fee for a Certificate of Title is $10.00.


Repossessed Certificate Of Title

Repossession Certificates of Title are issued to lien holders upon default of payment.

To obtain a Repossession Title, the lien holder must submit the following:


Storage-Repair Lien & Subsequent Transfer of Ownership Procedures

A Storage-Repair Lien is available to any person who has, either by written or verbal agreement with the titled owner of a vehicle, performed work on or agreed to store a vehicle and have been unable to collect the fees owed. A vehicle towed and subsequently stored because the owner would not pick up the vehicle would also be eligible to use the Storage-Repair lien method.  Mobile/manufactured homes, which are not permanently attached to real estate or part of any real estate records, are considered motor vehicles and are, therefore, eligible for the Storage-Repair Lien process.  We have established written procedures and sample documents which may be used to process a storage-repair lien in Sarpy County.  Please select this link to obtain these documents:   Storage-repair lien procedures

Titling Of Vehicles Owned By Trusts

A trust is a legal entity that holds property or assets for the person(s) who created it.  To learn about creating a trust contact your attorney. 

A vehicle may be titled in the name of a trust.  Depending on the language of the trust document , one trustee may be able to sign for all others.  If there is no language to allow one trustee to sign for all other trustees, or if the document uses an "and" when naming the trustees and has no language exists to allow one trustee to sign for all of the trustees, the the signature of all trustees will be required.  A trustee would sign their own name on behalf of the trust, for example:  "Jane Smith, Trustee for the John Doe Trust"

To transfer a title into the name of the trust, all persons named as owners on the face of the title must sign off to transfer ownership to the trust.  If the vehicle is less than ten years old one person who can sign for the trust must sign the front of the title, attesting to the mileage on the vehicle.

The Application for Certificate of Title must be in the name of the trust and the new certificate of title must be in the name of the trust as designated in the trust document.  Depending on the wording of the trust, the application for the new title must be signed by one person authorized to sign for all trustees of the trust or it must be signed by all trustees.

A copy of the front page of the trust document MUST be presented with the old title and application for new title whenever a trust is involved.

If the trust owned vehicle is sold, then the number of signatures required to sell the vehicle will depend on the wording of the trust, discussed in the second paragraph above.

Salvage Titles

A salvage vehicle is a late model vehicle that has been wrecked, damaged, or destroyed to the extent the estimated total cost of repair to rebuild and restore the vehicle to its condition immediately before it was damaged exceeds 75% of the retail value of the vehicle at the time it was damaged.

Late model vehicle is a vehicle that:

  • is 7 years old or less, as determined by the manufacturer's model year designation, or
  • has a retail value of more than $11,500 until January 1, 2020, when it increases to $12,000.
  • Once a vehicle with a Salvage Certificate of Title has been repaired, a Vehicle Inspection must be performed and a Vehicle Inspection Certificate must accompany the application for title, before a new title can be issued and the vehicle can be registered. The new title is required to have the words “Previously Salvaged” branded on the face under the designation, Legends. All brands must be carried forward on any titles issued thereafter and will also appear on any initial and subsequent registrations issued for the vehicle.

Transfer on Death (TOD) Beneficiary Designation

A Transfer on Death (TOD) beneficiary is a simple way to transfer ownership of a vehicle after the titled owner has died. By naming a TOD beneficiary on your title application, you can avoid the need for the vehicle to go through probate upon your death.  The TOD beneficiary is named on the face of the title.  Multiple TODs can exist on one vehicle in which case they would all be joint owners upon death.  Contact a qualified estate planning attorney for more detailed information.  

If you choose to assign a different TOD beneficiary at a later date, or delete the TOD entirely, you may do so by completing a new title application and submitting it with the previous title to the county treasurer. There is no ownership benefit for the TOD beneficiary until the titled owner(s) have died.  The TOD beneficiary has no claim or rights to the vehicle as long as  any of the titled owners are still alive.

Additional Title Issues

Additional Titles such as Antique, Assembled, Imported, Low Speed, Salvage, and etc

Motorboat Titles