Planning Frequently Asked Questions

Sarpy County

When are permits needed?


  1. Dwelling 
  2. Any finished area inside the home that was not finished as part of the original building permit. (e.g.; finished basement or and remodel work other than painting and flooring. 
  3. Accessory structures. (e.g.; garages, detached garages, pole barns, sheds, decks, fences, re-roofs, siding, swimming pools) 
  4. Any commercial building, commercial addition or alteration




Where do I go to get a permit?

First determine if you are in the Sarpy County jurisdiction.  Click here for map

Outside any City Extra-Territorial Limits
Sarpy County Building Department
1210 Golden Gate Drive #1240
Papillion, NE 68046
(402) 593-1555
Email Building Inspector

City of Bellevue
1510 Wall Street
Bellevue, NE 68005
(402) 293-3014

City of Gretna
204 N McKenna Ave
Gretna, NE 68028
(402) 332-3336 

City of La Vista
8110 Park View Blvd
La Vista, NE 68128
(402) 331-4343

City of Papillion
122 E 3rd St.
Papillion, NE 68046
(402) 597-2072

City of Springfield
170 N 3rd St
Springfield, NE 68059
(402) 253-2204


How long is a permit good?

Sarpy County permits are valid for one (1) year from the date issued.  Construction must begin within the first six (6) months. 


What building codes are enforced in Sarpy County's Jurisdictions?

Sarpy County Building Codes (effective January 1, 2017)

  • 2012 International Building Code w/ amendments
  • 2012 International Residential Code w/ amendments
  • 2012 International Plumbing Code
  • 2012 International Mechanical Code
  • 2012 International Fuel Gas Code
  • 2018 International Energy Conservation Code
  • 2017 National Electrical Code

Copies of these codes are available to be viewed at the Sarpy County Building Department, but may not be removed from our department. 


How are Permit Fees Calculated?

Please see  Master Fee Schedule for Planning & Building Dept


What are the different zoning districts?

For a more descriptive explanation see the Planning Department web page.

AG Agricultural Farming District (20+ acres) 
AGD Agricultural Development District (10+ acres) 
AGR Agricultural Residential District (5+ acres) 
RE2 Residential Estates (2+ acres) 
RE1 Residential Estates (1+ acres) 
RS-100 Single Family Residential District 
RS-72 Single Family Residential District 
RD-50 Two Family Residential District 
RG-35 General Residential District 
RG-15 General Residential District 
RMH Manufactured Home Residential District 
BG General Business District 
BGH Heavy General Business District 
IL Light Industrial District 
IGM General Manufacturing District 
MU Mixed Use District 
AP Airport District 
AA Airport Approach Zone District 
PD Planned Development District 
PTD Planned Townhouse Development 
CD Conservation Overlay District
FP Flood Plain District 


What Zoning Type am I in?

Below is a list of subdivisions that are in Sarpy County Jurisdiction and the Zoning for the subdivision:

Subdivisions Zoned as Residential:

Ballena (Tiburon South) RS-72
Cedar Hollow RS-72 
Cedar Ridge RS-72 
Giles Ridge RS-72 
Hansons Lake RD-50/FP 
Harrison Woods RS-72, RD50PD & BG 
Hawaiian Village RD-50/FP 
Hickory Ridge RD-50 
Lakeridge Estates RE1 
Millard Park RS-72, RD-50PD & BG 
Tiburon RS-100 
Tiburon Patio Homes RD-50PD 
Tiburon Pointe RD-50PD 
Tiburon View RD-50PD 
Tiburon Estates RD-50PD

Subdivisions Zoned as Commercial:

Commerce Business Centre IL
Highway Crossing IL
Hilltop Industrial Park IL
Lakeview South IL