State Benefits

Sarpy County

Nebraska Department of Veterans Affairs

Provide confidential counseling and assistance in the completion and submission of applications for the following:

  • Nebraska Veterans' Aid (NVA) Fund.  For unforeseen emergencies to help pay living expenses for qualified veterans, widows, widowers, or dependents.  Veterans who entered military service from a State other than Nebraska must have been a resident in Nebraska for the past one (1) year, and the veteran must have lived in Sarpy County six (6) months immediately prior to submitting an application for Nebraska Veterans Aid.           
  • Nebraska Veterans Aid Worksheet

Admission to a Nebraska Veterans' Home

  • Homes are located in Grand Island, Norfolk, and Omaha for Nebraska veterans and their spouses. 
  • Eligibity: Wartime veterans, their spouse if veteran is deceased, is already a resident, or if they are admitted as a couple, and Gold Star mothers and fathers (parents who lost a child as the result of war combat) are eligible for admission to a State operated veterans' home. 
  • Sarpy County residents, please contact us at 593-2203 for application assistance and submission.  For those who live in another county, please contact your Veterans Service Office.

Tuition Waiver for Nebraska State Colleges/Universities (for dependents of veterans who are permanent and total disabled)               

  • Tuition Credit.  For Guard members and Reservists.
  • Homestead Exemption.  Must be permanent and total disabled at 100% and a wartime veteran or must be age 65 and a wartime veteran (income limits apply).  Go to Nebraska Homestead Exemption for more information and eligibility criteria.



Nebraska Hunting & Fishing Permits

Nebraska Hunting and Fishing Permit.  Veterans who now have a fee-exempt permit will not need to renew the permit or remit $1.50 for a duplicate if it is lost or destroyed.

Veterans 64-years-old and older regardless of when they served active military duty and have an Honorable or General (Under Honorable Conditions) discharge are eligible for a veterans annual hunting/fishing permit for a $5.00 fee.

This fee is to accompany the application and may be paid by check, money order, or credit card.  Nebraska residency must be maintained, and the permit is valid January 1 through December 31 of the calendar year.  Permits must be renewed each year for a $5.00 fee.  No additional stamps or fees will be required with the exception of the Federal Migratory Waterfowl Stamp if needed. 

Applications must be signed by a County Veterans Service Officer or a copy of your DD214 must accompany the application.  If the permit is lost or destroyed a duplicate may be purchased for $1.50.  Permits are issued at any Game and Parks Commission District Office, Lincoln Headquarters, Omaha office, or Ak-Sar-Ben Aquarium.

Issued to a veteran who is a legal resident of Nebraska and rated by the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) as 50% or more disabled as a result of military service. 

Fee-exempt permits may also be issued to veterans who are receiving a pension from the DVA as a result of total and permanent disability and the disability was not incurred in the line of duty in the military service. 

Permits are permanent and do not have to renewed as long as Nebraska residency is maintained.  Applications must be signed by a County Veterans Service Officer.  No additional state stamps or fees will be required.  

Questions can be addressed to the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission, Permits Section, 402-471-5563 or 1-800-232-0213.